Sunday, November 25, 2012

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

Hey everybody! Thank you so much for joining me again for another movie review.  I am going to be reviewing the mystery thriller, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  David Fincher, the director of such works as Fight Club and Seven, was nominated for two Oscars for the films The Curios Case Of Benjamin Button and The Social Network. I'm a big fan of David Fincher's work. I love how he combines great stories with good cinematography. Sometimes the cinematography takes a back seat in his films and you get so involved in the story that its such an enjoyable experience.  I have definitely taken notes for some of my future movies to come. Some cool things to look for in Fincher's films is how he uses low key lighting with green or blue tinted color temperature. The other thing I liked-- and I used in my short film--I adopted his idea of often featuring several single frames that flash on the screen in the middle of a scene. You know, when I watched the film I enjoyed it. I feel like the movie did the novel justice, but the only problem I really had with it was that it took too long to get to the point where you start  to see the relationships between the characters develop and how they react with each other as the story unfolds. Like me, you might loose the intrest of your audience but, then again, I understand the concept of building suspense, so its a love hate relationship with that aspect. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a 2011 American mystery thriller based on the Swedish novel by Steig Larson. The film stars Daniel Craig and Rooney Marie and tells the story of journalist Mikael Blomkvist's investigation to find out what happened to a woman from a wealthy family that's been missing for over forty years. Persoanlly, I love the story and even throughout the movie the director was able to build suspense and get you thinking or trying to figure out for yourself who was the culprit. Thats something I truely love about filmmaking when your able to involve your audience without really involving them. That is a technique I'm trying to figure out myself. What really impressed me about the film was how long the process took for it to finally go into production. Sony Pictures began  development of the film in 2009. It took some time for the company to obtain the rights to the novel. The film's script took over six months to write which included analyzing the novel, but with a budget of 90 million they were off to Norway and Switzerland to shoot for seven months. Overall I enjoyed the dark, grim tone of the film, but the ending left me either wanting more or confused. It was brutal and entertaining. I think we get to see a new side of David Fincher and I'm interested to see what's next. I give it 9 out of 10 movie reels. Join me again for another addition of film reviews from a filmmaker....





No comments:

Post a Comment